Friday, November 3, 2017

Looking in the mirror...



As always there are so many things to talk about: so many things are going on here with carding and dyeing and yarn making and creating, you know the fun stuff. And then there are the other things I’d rather not think about or do: things like administrative stuff, book keeping, doing taxes and my least favourite of all the things: looking at the books and realizing that you seem to be selling lots but that some customers are just not in the mood for paying.

It sucks to find that out but there ya go, it happens. Of course I myself am to blame because I am still the 19th century grocery store that you can walk in to, chat up and I will send you home with a basket full of goodies in good faith. I have always worked that way because most of the people I sold to were my friends, I knew them, even if I did not know them in person, I knew them online over a long period of time. Over the last 13 and a half years other people who buy off me have krept in, who either forget over a long period of time OR just don’t believe that their payment is important.
You know, like going to Woolworths with a basket full of groceries and saying to the check out “ I’m just gonna go home and put this in my fridge and I will pay you when I am ready..or maybe not”.
Because you don’t do that when you go shopping do you, unless you want a free meal in the local county jail so to speak and a bad rep.

 When I do come across these things when it comes to my business, it kinda breaks my heart AND above all, this begging for “please pay me” makes me feel really  bad. I know, it’s stupid but I do not want to become a debt collector. If I wanted to be one or a bookkeeper I would have done so. SO here it is, about 95% of my customers are absolutely awesome and I love you dearly, but there are an increasing number of people who either do not pay or pay late or not at all.

I guess it’s all a learning curve but I think I need to make some changes before I have more orders on hold and awaiting payment than I am getting money in. Like I said, I am not a bank, I am a fibre and yarn dealer..lol
 So, I have made the decision, to not send out any parcels anymore until I receive payment. If you are known to me and a repeat offender in a good way, you are in the clear, you know who you are ! (insert wink wink nudge nudge) but if you are a newbie or a repeat offender in the bad sense of the word, I will only ship your orders out after I have received full payment, not a promise, not “you are so fantastic I love what you do can I pay you $5 per month for the next 6 months for that skein of yarn”.

Fibre and yarn dealers are not banks who, unlike the National Australia Bank make 6.6 million dollars of profit….I have a farm and lots of hungry mouths to feed, bills need to be paid and also I have to pay other farmers and small companies who I depend on for dyes, for fibres I do not grow and to spin my yarn. These companies want their money before they deliver. I cannot go to them and say.. “well, listen , I will pay you when my customers all pay me”..they will take one look at me and say “see ya!” Times are tough and rough and stressful for lots and lots of people. The current economic climate does not help. BUT, please understand that when you personally message or email me and want something made here, on a small scale, you are not only supporting rare breeds, small farms, small business, you are supporting so much more: a dream, an idea, an adventure, something unique. Something that will make what you create special and unique as well. I hope you understand. End of rant and ….on to the next one……lol


After working in my business for almost 14 years now, I have come to realise another thing that totally messes with my sanity: I am always struggling with time. I never seem to have enough of it and that is why, to get everything done, I really should live on Venus so I at least have 116days and 18hours in one day !!!! Not happening though, too cold aand uninhabitable..lol At the same time I started to realise another thing: I am giving away my time for free LOTS! When somebody asks me to please show them how to spin or weave or do this or that , how do I put this together, can I do a talk about spinning, rug weaving, bunnies anything..I say “Sure!” I will be there ! I will do it no worries !” Do I get paid for it? No… oh well, maybe a teatowel or free feed or something like that but not a speakers fee. I did get a question to do a talk and demo about a 5 hour drive away and I asked them for petrol money at least and then they declined. So what is it with people who want women in craft to give their time away for free? Why is it that women in craft are making these gorgeous things and people do not really want to pay ? It is a total mystery to me. Is it because most of the time so called "womens work" (insert blasphemy and when is the world going to change!!!!???) , like housework, taking care of the children is always deemed to be for free? Because if people do want to sell craft, it is “on the side and they do not rely on it for their income?”. I really would like to start a dialogue on this because it is totally doing my head in. Recently I have been asked to do workshops at a retreat. As usual I was super enthusiastic, because let’s face it, it is not only my business but it’s also my passion. Would I get paid for the workshops? No. They would not know how to pay me and I would have to pay for my accommodation and drive there (not around the corner). I had to really really think very hard. I wanted to, because I could sell my fibre and yarn there …. maybe, but at the same time it would cost me a bundle and also time away from the farm where work goes on. Again, it was doing my head in. That and the fact I have a very hard time saying “No”… In the end and after a few sleepless nights I stated my case as open and diplomatic as I could and said “no, sorry” with all the reasons attached so the organisers would realise that people who run businesses as a business and as their livelihood are in a very difficult position to give away their time for absolutely nothing or even pay for the priviledge. It’s like the “ yeah, but you get exposure!” Well, possums, exposure does not put food on the table. End of rant nr 2 and …….then yes, the start of a migraine set in …

It is hard enough to create on a day to day basis ( the sitting in front of an empty canvas” kind of thing) but to also have to deal with your passion as a business is a totally different ball game that most people who want to make their hobby into a business totally forget about. I love what I do. I love dealing with passionate people who love craft and art. I would not be able to work 20 hours a day, with no weekends or holidays , if I was not passionate about what I do. I have to be honest with myself and say that I would not like to do anything else BUT something has got to give. Something has to give unless I want to fall apart sooner rather than later.  So changes will have to be made. Ofcourse I will keep you posted on the thinking process and how and what and when. One thing is for sure: I will keep dyeing and creating !

Well,    I won’t keep you waiting longer here are the goodies for this week: some GaGa!



Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if you have any questions okay? Always happy to enable. All my contact details are to be found at the end of this week’s blog entry.

GaGa Bunny Tops   

Blue Faced Leicester, Angora, rainbow glitz and Cashmere

100+gram tops AU$24

Super soft with an added happy rainbow, Spins like butter and has a beautiful drape and shine. Instant smile material.





Velvet Kisses






Vampires at Versailles








Upwardly Mobile Fossils





Unicorn Farts-






T-Rex Romance





The Impossible Astronaut-




Ragnarok-sold-




Psychedelic Monkeys-




Night Terrors-sold-




Nabokov’s Butterflies




Icicle Summer (because it is Spring and it has actually snowed here !!! Crazy!!) SOLD




Hair on Fire-Sold-







Fool’s Gold



Day of the Moon



Curse of the Black Spot-SOLD-



Big Bang-sold-



Architect of Chaos



A Rose is a Rose




Spinner’s Control, Yarn Gauge and Ply angle card

a great way to gauge the thickness of your yarn and plying. A nice tool with an info sheet to hang on your spinning wheel or carry wit you anywhere you go.

$5



The New IxCHeL Club sign ups are now OPEN ! 

Get a monthly fibre and yarn surprise !

Always great blends and colourways 

only hand dyed for those who are club members !



January, February and March 2018





For all our international club fans there is a possibility to ship all three clubs together to save on postage if you want :-) Just pm me and enquire about the options available.


IxCHeL Fibre Club January, February and March 2018


The subscription is for a period of three months and you will receive one special hand dyed top/roving per month to the value of AU$24 or more

All the tops will be hand dyed and will be especially made for the members of IxCHeL Fibre Club ! Price to join the IxCHel Fibre Club #34 and receive your special hand dyed top :)) for three months (January, February and March 2018) is AU$72 + postage (parcel post or airmail). AND there are good value double serves available !!!



For Australia : single serve $72+$29 postage (parcel post), double serve $136+$29 (save $8) or triple serves $204 (save $12!) + postage


For USA + Canada: single serve AU$72+AU$57 (Airmail) double serve AU$136+AU$57


For UK,Europe, rest of the world: Single serve AU$72+AU$69 (airmail) Double serve AU$136+AU$69


For Asia: Single serve AU$72+AU$50 (airmail) Double serve AU$136+AU$50


If you want to receive a fibre surprise every month then join the IXCHEL FIBRE CLUB #34 now. Numbers are strictly limited ! The January 2018 Club is going to be shipped out end of January, the February club mid February and the March club mid March. Payment via direct deposit or credit card or paypal. Just PM or email me your details.


The IxCHeL Sock Yarn Clubs  January, February and March 2018


Every month for three months (January, February and March 2018) you will receive: enough hand dyed luscious yummy yarn to make a pair of socks or a lush shawl or scarf ofcourse! (the hand dyed yarn will be exclusive for the Ixchelbunny SOCK-IT-TO-ME Yarn CLUB and will range from a sockweight yarn (a 4ply/fingering weight yarn) or an 8ply / DK weight enough to make a pair of socks ; Every month a sock pattern, tips and instructions ! Now is that GOOD or is that GOOD ??!


I will even offer a double serve for those of you who like their socks extra long !


For Australia : single serve $87+$29 postage (parcel post) double serve $146(= one skein FREE!!!) +$29


For USA + Canada: single serve AU$87+AU$57 (Airmail) double serve $146 (= one skein FREE!!!) +AU$57


For UK,Europe, rest of the world: Single serve AU$87+AU$69 (airmail) Double serve $145 (= one skein FREE!!!) +AU$69


For Asia: Single serve AU$87+AU$50 (airmail) Double serve $145 (= one skein FREE!!!) +AU$50


Numbers are strictly limited ! 
Payment via direct deposit or credit card or paypal . Just PM or email me your details 
  By the way: you don’t HAVE to knit socks if you don’t want to.. the hand dyed yarn is amazingly nice for scarves, cowls, beanies and even tops ! Anything goes . The January 2018 Club is going to be shipped out end of January, the February club mid Feb and the March club Mid March.


IxCHeL Funky Bunny Batt Clubs  January, February and March 2018

Here are all the details and just pm me when you have any questions or want to be part of the funky bunny batt club Movement ;-) Welcome to the blingy dark side ;-D
The subscription is for a period of three months and you will receive one special hand dyed funky bunny batt per month to the value of AU$40 or more .
The batts will range in weight from 140grams to 180grams with luxury fibres like camel , angora, cashmere, silk, yak, llama even wallaby and bison and rare sheep breeds !!!! All the batts will be hand dyed and will be especially made for the members of IxCHeL funky bunny Club ! Every month you will receive a HUGE luxury funky bunny batt !
Sign up now and you will receive an Ixchel Hand dyed , super luxurious funky bunny batt for January, February and March 2018.

Price to join the IxCHeL Funky bunny for three months is :

For Australia : $114+$29 postage (parcel post)

For USA + Canada: AU$114+AU$57 (Airmail)

For UK,Europe, rest of the world: AU$114+AU$69 (airmail)

For Asia: AU$114+AU$50 (airmail)

If you want to receive a fibre surprise every month then join the IXCHEL FUNKY BUNNY BATT CLUB now. 
Numbers are strictly limited ! The January 2018 club is going to be shipped out end of January, the Feb club mid feb and the March club mid March 2018. Payment via direct deposit or credit card or paypal. Just PM or email me



Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if you have any questions okay? Always happy to enable. All my contact details are to be found at the end of this week’s blog entry. 
Have a fun weekend !!!



Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if you have any questions okay? Always happy to enable. All my contact details are also to be found at the end of this week’s blog entry.



Have a creative week!
Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if you have any questions okay? : Always happy to enable.

All my contact details are here:




How To Order:

1. You can email me on ixchel at rabbit dot com dot au or ixchelbunny at yahoo dot com dot au
2. Message me on facebook or 
3. Message me on www.ravelry.com  where I am ixchelbunny.
4. message me on Instagram where I am @ixchelbunny

I will email you right back with all your order details and payment methods.


Any questions? Any custom orders for yarn or dyeing fibre? : Please don’t hesitate to ask! Always happy to enable.


Thank you so much for your help and support !


 RABBIT ON !
((hugs))
Charly
qrcode

No comments: