Friday, October 14, 2016

Windy Weather

A very windy Spring!!!!

October always seems to be full of surprises on the weather front. So called Spring normally should be mild getting us all ready for Summer, but here for the last two years in a row, October has been, to say the least, extremely volatile! Last year, almost on the same day !! it was hailing so badly with hailstones the size of a baby fist , the roof of the verandah got badly damaged and the studio flooded. This year, there were such gale force gusts of wind, that it was not just “windy” and “hold on to your hat” kinda weather, oh no! it was so “windy” it almost blew me down the hill when Paul and I were inspecting what damage was done and then suddenly : the wind direction changed like we were in the periphery of a cyclone and BANG! CRASH! SHUDDER!: a huge messmate (a type of Eucalypt tree) that had stood there for ages, didn’t just crack or lost a limb, NO! it was totally uprooted !!!

To think we were almost there walking around the property, because we wanted to see what fabulous work Paul had done to get the big branches that had been torn off the wattle tree not too long ago! We could’ve been under that huge pile of branches and huge tree. I shudder to think about it. We were very lucky but just over the hill, there was a woman who was crushed in her living room! When a huge tree fell on her house and the house of her neighbours.

We went back to our house to see if anything had fallen in or off there , but to our surprise even the power was still on!!! So strange! Well, as soon as that came out of my mouth of course the power went off and it didn’t come back on til Wednesday very late in the afternoon. 4 days no electricity, wreaks a bit of havoc if you do not have a back up….We have been very blessed not to be hurt or have any real damage and also blessed because we do have a tiny generator so we could hook up the fridge and the wifi, which was essential, well the wifi that is, because the mobile tower was off grid most of the time. A lot of people did not have that little back up system. When you are living here in the hills I can only say please get powerpack, batteries, candles and please invest in a generator or something if the power goes (which is ofcourse of the enough without the wild phenomena of last sunday).

There are things you cannot possibly hook up to a tiny generator: anything that is hard wired is a no no of course, but also anything that needs heating up like a heating plate, heater or even a simple thing like a coffee machine or my dye set ups (not on gas….yet !) or anything that uses a big amount of power, like lathes and big machinery. So the whole week was basically spent cleaning up, dealing with other things while the dyeing and blending and carding ahd to be put on the back burner. I did start the clubs and the rare sheep breed adventure earlier than usual but I still had heaps to do. Unfortunately, some things just had to wait. When the power came back on after 4 days, I immediately spent lots of time at the carders trying to get all the batts and blending done and then after that, I spent lots of time finishing the dyeing for the clubs. So all in all, although not quite finished yet, I estimate that the Racka rare sheep breed adventure AND the October Clubs will be ready to send on Monday or Tuesday ! Yeah !!! What a week !!! Here is a view of Paul with the huge Messmate !

Paul and his Messmate


Tonight’s update is all about something special : Alpine Glitz with some very cute Swiss Valais Blacknose sheep fibre !

Have a fun weekend and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions! You know me: I always love to enable! Custom spinning and dyeing and creating blends Please contact me: I am here to help .

All my contact details are to be found at the end of this week’s blog entry. Have fun and stay warm!!



Alpine Glitz Tops     -all sold sorry-   




100grams AU$25 

 Swiss Valais Blacknose sheep, Eco Merino, Angora, Cashmere, Glitz






Very cute Swiss Valais Blacknose Sheep in the Alps


Woad Light (dyed with Woad)-sold-



Woad dark (dyed with Woad)-sold-




Spicy Heather-sold-



Rose (dyed with Mushroom pigments)-sold-





Rose Velvet-sold-





Pumpkin Spice -sold-


the Matrix -sold-



Natural -sold-

Indigo (dyed with Japanese Indigo) -sold-



Eucalypt Magic -sold-



Autumn-sold-




Have a creative and fun week!


Dates to put in your Calendar !!

DECEMBER


Spindling Workshops in Warburton at the Pea Green Boat !: more info to come soon !



Landscape dyes 

 100g tubs   AU$11 


Want to dye your own with easy to use acid dyes? I have been selling these Landscape dyes at my workshops and shows for a long time :  They are extremely easy to use and come in great shades.
Just contact me with the name of the colour you are after and I will get right back to you.


Have a creative week!
Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if you have any questions okay? : Always happy to enable.

All my contact details are here:


How To Order:

1. You can email me on ixchel at rabbit dot com dot au or ixchelbunny at yahoo dot com dot au
2. Message me on facebook or 
3. Message me on www.ravelry.com  where I am Ixchelbunny.

I will email you right back with all your order details and payment methods.


Any questions? Any custom orders for yarn or dyeing fibre? : Please don’t hesitate to ask! Always happy to enable.


Thank you so much for your help and support !


 RABBIT ON !
((hugs))
Charly
qrcode

No comments: